Is It Possible to Be Allergic to Invisalign?

You can be allergic to practically anything, no matter how common it might be. Just ask the poor people who are allergic to things such as coins, sunlight, or even water. Some people might only discover an allergy when they happen to come into contact with the allergen in question. So what are the odds of being allergic to Invisalign?

Incredibly Unlikely to Happen

Yes, it's possible to be allergic to your Invisalign aligners. But possible certainly doesn't mean that it's likely. It's important to mention that such an allergy is incredibly rare, and even for those unfortunate few who might experience an allergic reaction to their aligners, it's unlikely to be serious. Such allergies can usually be managed without too much effort so you can continue your treatment.

Direct Contact

An allergy to your aligners is categorized as contact dermatitis, meaning that the adverse reaction is due to direct contact with the allergen. This is different from other types of allergic reactions which generally mean that the allergen needs to be consumed. Since Invisalign and other transparent aligner systems are made of thermoplastic, the allergen will be one of the many different chemical components of thermoplastic. 

General Irritation

The most common signs of an allergic reaction to your Invisalign will be irritation at the point of contact. This can include gums that are slightly swollen and red, accompanied by a general sense of discomfort. Don't panic if this happens, because it's not automatically an allergic reaction. It might just be that you're still becoming accustomed to the new addition to your mouth. Just wait a day or two to see if any strange reactions subside of their own accord. If these reactions persist, an allergic reaction can be possible.

Managing the Allergy

If you're experiencing an allergic reaction to your Invisalign aligners, does this mean you should stop your treatment? Not at all. Your allergic reaction can easily be managed. Your dentist can recommend a nonprescription oral corticosteroid or antihistamine if it should prove necessary. Alternatively, staying hydrated (which rinses your mouth), and regular dental cleanings will often be sufficient for such a minor reaction.

Please don't be concerned about a potential allergic reaction to your Invisalign. As previously stated, it's incredibly unlikely to happen. And if it should affect you, remember that it's an easy condition to manage, and it won't prevent you from enjoying the full benefits of your treatment. For more insight, contact dentists who specialise in Invisalign